Word environment day – Why it is celebrated?
In 1972, The UN General Assembly designates 5 June as World Environment Day, marking the first day of the Stockholm Conference on the Human Environment. Another resolution, adopted by the General Assembly the same day, leads to the creation of UN Environment Programme.
Why world environment day is celebrated:
Main objective is to raise an awareness that the world is facing the problem such as air pollution, plastic pollution, global warming and sea level increasing day by day
Since 1973, every year different theme is used to address different environmental issue
This years theme:
“Only One Earth” (Theme first used in 1973) is the campaign slogan, with the focus on “Living Sustainably in Harmony with Nature”
Common myths about plastics
Myth: Multilayer plastic can not be recycled
Fact: There are numerous registered and unregistered recycling units in India, that recycle multilayer plastic waste into granules and products
Myth: Plastic is only used in packaging
Fact: Plastic is used in a variety of applications in various industry segments other than packaging
Myth: Products made from recycled materials are inferior
Fact: Over the period technology has improved immensely and enabled the manufacturing of high-quality recycled products
What industries/corporates can do in ensuring effective use of plastic?
- Industries/Corporate can start using recycled content in their packaging
- Can often conduct Information, Education and Communication (IEC) Campaigns to raise awareness of plastic waste management among their employees
- Spread awareness on source segregation of waste amongst employees and communities.
What we are doing?
Plastic Waste diverted from landfills
Rag-pickers empowered pan India
(Information, Education, and Communication)
Pillars of Strength:
ULB tie-ups Pan India
Disposal Centres pan India
Esteemed brands associated
Sustainable products to be developed from MLP
upcoming recycling facilities
What society can do?
- Societies can adapt to two or three bin system
- Spread awareness on plastic waste management
- Also can adapt to 3Rs of Reduce, Reuse and Recycle
- Choose things with care to reduce amount of waste generated
- Reusing items that are still usable in some way
- Recycling means the use of waste itself as resources
Some best practice to keep, segregate and reuse plastic at home? Best practices examples?
- Keep your waste segregated like paper, plastic, organic waste, etc.
- Carry your own shopping bag when you go to the grocery shop
- Repurpose plastic containers
- Send your plastics to nearest recycler, scrap trader or waste collector.
- Build compostable bins for organic waste